Joe Louis vs. Jack Roper
1939-04-17 : Joe Louis 201¼ lbs beat Jack Roper 204¾ lbs by KO at 2:20 in round 1 of 10
- Location: Wrigley Field, Los Angeles, California, USA
- Referee: George Blake
- The Oakland Tribune reported that a crowd of 21,125 produced a gross gate of $87,697.75.
- Louis was a 10-1 betting favorite.
- Louis' purse was $45,000, and Roper's was $10,000.
- Louis battered Roper along the ropes and sent the challenger to the canvas with a barrage of punches, finishing with a right hand. It was the only knockdown of the fight. Roper tried to pull himself up with the ropes, but he was counted out.
- This was Louis' third straight first-round knockout victory.