John Mugabi vs. Earl Hargrove
1985-03-17 : John Mugabi 155 lbs beat Earl Hargrove 154¾ lbs by KO at 1:33 in round 1 of 10
- Location: Egypt Shrine Temple, Tampa, Florida, USA
- Referee: Mike Boggs
- Ring Announcer: Mark Beiro
- Aired On: NBC Sportsworld
- Television Announcers: Ferdie Pacheco and Marv Albert
- John Mugabi 23-0 (23 KOs) vs. Earl Hargrove 26-1 (25 KOs)
- The broadcast listed Mugabi's record at 24-0 (24 KOs).
- Per the ring announcer, Mugabi entered ranked as the # 1 junior middleweight in the world. Hargrove entered ranked # 10 by The Ring Magazine.
- Mugabi was a heavy crowd favorite and many of those in attendance chanted "Beast, Beast, Beast" and following the knockout chanted "We want (Tommy) Hearns." Mugabi and Hearns never met in the ring, but Mugabi did fight Marvin Hagler a year later, a bout Mugabi lost by 11th Round KO.
Hargrove came out looking to work behind a jab and landed a nice body shot to Mugabi. Mugabi threw big power shots. A left hook caught Hargrove on the chin and sent him down on his backside at 0:45. He was up quickly but appeared to be wobbled as action continued. Mugabi came forward and landed a big combination. Hargrove attempted to exchange with him. A huge left hand to the jaw sent Hargrove falling back into the ropes and as he was going down Mugabi landed a right that sent him to the mat. Hargrove did not attempt to get to his feet and the referee reached the count of ten.