John Riel Casimero vs. Pedro Guevara
2012-08-04 : John Riel Casimero 108 lbs beat Pedro Guevara 108 lbs by SD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Centro de Convenciones, Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico
- Referee: Ray Corona
- Judge: Matthew Podgorski 116-111
- Judge: Levi Martinez 114-113
- Judge: Dr Ruben M Garcia 113-114
- International Boxing Federation Light Flyweight Title (1st defense by Casimero)
- IBF Supervisor: Daryl J. Peoples
- John Riel Casimero 16-2 (10 KOs) vs. Pedro Guevara 18-0-1 (13 KOs)
- Casimero entered as the #8 jr. flyweight contender in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Guevara was unranked by the same publication. Guevara was ranked as the IBF #4 light flyweight contender to Casimero's title, as well as the WBC #6, WBO #8, and WBA #10 light flyweight contender.
- Casimero is 0-1 coming into the fight when fighting in Mexico, as well as when fighting against Mexican fighters, having lost to Ramon Garcia Hirales in Sinaloa, Mexico by split decision two years ago, losing his Interim WBO Light Flyweight Title in his first defense. Casimero has a 2-2 (2 KOs) record when fighting outside his native Philippines and heads into the fight with an 0-1 record in world title fights, with his only true world title fight coming in a TK05 loss to Moruti Mthalane in South Africa more than a year ago.
- This is Guevara's first ever shot at a world title and his first time facing a Filipino fighter.