From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
1980-03-31 : Mike Weaver 207½ lbs beat John Tate 232 lbs by KO at 2:15 in round 15 of 15
- Tate was three inches taller and 24½ lbs heavier than Weaver.
- Tate was a 2-1 favorite.
- There was a crowd of 12.769.
- Weaver said he knew he was behind and needed a knockout to win.
- Weaver knocked Tate out with a left hook. Tate laid unconscious, face down and spread eagle on the canvas as he was counted out.
- "The crowd cost Tate the fight," Weaver said afterwards. "He made the mistake of trying to come out and slug with me. He was boxing before that. He was responding to the crowd."
- If Tate had defeated Weaver, his next opponent was expected to be Muhammad Ali.