Johnny Greco vs. Dave Castilloux
1946-08-28 : Johnny Greco 146 lbs beat Dave Castilloux 137½ lbs by MD in round 10 of 10
- Location: Forum, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Referee: Al Decarie
- Judge: Leon Germain 46-40
- Judge: James Gill 46-44
- Judge: Rene Ouimet 44-44
- Canadian Welterweight Title (4th defense of Castilloux)
- Attendance: 14,750 (a Dominion record) with several thousand unable to get in
- Gate: $49,549
- Castilloux's Canadian Lightweight title was not at stake.
- "Special Invited Guests" included former boxers Maxie Berger, George Chabot, Arthur Giroux, Bobby Leitham, Leo (Kid) Roy, and ex-World Bantamweight Champion Pete Sanstol.
- According to letters Sanstol mailed to a friend named Alice before and after this bout, copies of which still exist to this day, he wrote: "I am flying to Montreal the 27th to see the fight, Johnny Greco-Dave Castilloux, the 28th, and will be back here the 29th. It is quite an honor to think that the promoter feels that a visit to the papers of Montreal, by an old has been, would make this show THE fight of the year. And I am really looking forward to this trip." (Photo of Giroux and Sanstol at this show.) Then, after he had returned to Chicago, where he was then living, Sanstol wrote to Alice on September 1: "My trip to Montreal was a shot in the arm to me. I really enjoyed my old home town and all the glory connected with my visit there. It looks like I needed someone to appreciate me, and to tell me that they have missed me. I now know they have. It is good feel[ing] that there is someone, somewhere, who cares a little. 'Life goes on.' (I remember your reaction to my saying about life, but it must go on.)"
- The celebration was short lived for Greco, as he learned immediately after the fight that his home had been burglarized during the fight.
- Montreal LaPresse newspaper coverage
Castilloux vs. Bagnato III
| Canadian Welterweight Title Fight
Greco vs. Webb