Name: Johnny Lira
Alias: World Class Pug
Died: 2012-12-08 (Age:61)
Hometown: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Height: 5′ 9″ / 175cm
Reach: 69″ / 175cm
Boxing Record: click
Judging Record: click
Johnny Lira Gallery
- As an amateur boxer Lira fought at Welterweight & Middleweight.
- Three of the top amateur welterweights in Illinois during the mid 1970's were Johnny Lira, Pete Podgorski & Lewis Velez.
- While they were amateur boxers, Podgorski went 3-0 vs. Lewis Velez while Lewis Velez K.O.'d Lira in a Golden GLoves tournament. Yet John Lira managed to outpoint Podgorski in 2 of 3 meeting as amateurs.
- As an amateur Lira won the Chicago Golden Gloves Novice Middleweight title at 160 lbs. and in the Open division won a C.Y.O. sectional title before being outpointed in the finals against veteran Warren Thunder
- In 1975 Lira became one of the Chicago Park District Champions with a win over Hugh Pettit in the 147 lb. Open division finals.
- In 1978, as a professional boxer John Lira won the USBA - Untied States Boxing Association Lightweight title Knocking out Andrew Ganigan who was 25 - 0 at the time.
- After he retired from professional boxing Johnny Lira fought a four round exhibition for charity in Chicago versus John Nocita, August 29, 2001
- Lira tried his hand as an amateur boxing judge & referee. Lira also judged a few professional bouts.