Joma Gamboa vs. Atsushi Sai
2000-04-09 : Joma Gamboa 104¾ lbs beat Atsushi Sai 105 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Municipal Gymnasium, Hachinohe, Aomori, Japan
- Referee: Masakazu Uchida
- Judge: Eddy Toomkit 116-114
- Judge: Kazunobu Asao 115-112
- Judge: Takeo Harada 117-111
- Interim World Boxing Association World Minimumweight Title (1st defense by Gamboa)
- Joma Gamboa 27-5-1 (20 KOs) vs. Atsushi Sai 14-2-1 (7 KOs)
- Interim WBA World Minimumweight Champion Gamboa is coming off a sixth-round technical knockout of Satoru Abe to win the vacant interim title four months ago in Nagoya, Japan.
- The challenger, Atsushi Sai, is coming off a ten-round decision win against Kazunori Osato ten months ago.
- Gamboa is 4-0 (3 KOs) in Japan and 3-0 (2 KOs) against Japanese fighters coming into the bout.
- Sai is 2-0-1 (1 KOs) against Filipino fighters coming into the bout
- Reigning and defending Interim WBA World Minimumweight Champion Joma Gamboa of the Philippines defeats challenger Atsushi Sai of Japan by a twelve-round unanimous decision.
- Gamboa dominated most of the fight, but Sai, to his credit did manage to win some rounds. The highlight of the fight was when Gamboa nailed Sai with a vicious left hook in round 4 which sent the latter to the canvas for the only knockdown in the fight. With the win, Gamboa retained his interim title for the first time.
- Note: This was Atsushi Sai's last professional bout.