Jonathan Gonzalez vs. Rudy Cisneros
2011-05-13 : Jonathan Gonzalez 154 lbs beat Rudy Cisneros 152½ lbs by TKO at 1:50 in round 7 of 8
- Location: Chumash Casino, Santa Ynez, California, USA
- Referee: Ray Corona
- Judge: Marty Sammon
- Judge: Kermit Bayless
- Judge: Steve Morrow
- Jonathan Gonzalez 12-0 (12 KOs) vs. Rudy Cisneros 12-2 (11 KOs)
- Fight was on the undercard of Kendall Holt vs. Julio Diaz.
- Cisneros, a 7/1 betting underdog , entered having not fought in nearly a year and a half and only once in almost three years.
- For Gonzalez, it was his first bout to go beyond the 6th Round.
Cisneros, clearly the slower of the two, opened the bout coming forward and working predominately with a jab that seemed more aggravating than effective. Gonzalez threw fewer looking for countering opportunities and bigger punches. Gonzalez turned up his output following Round 1 and alternated between orthodox and southpaw stances. Round 4 saw a solid display of in-fighting by both fighters and clearly favored Cisneros's fighting style. In the 5th, Gonzalez opted to box more than exchange with Cisneros and began to find more success with movement and countering opportunities. Gonzalez had a big 6th Round hurting Cisneros and pouring it on as as the latter was against the ropes and covered. In the round, a small cut developed above Cisneros's left eye. Gonzalez continued to prove the stronger fighter in the 7th, landing a right hand that split the guard of Cisneros and connecting with combinations to the body. With Cisneros clearly hurt from the body shots, his corner threw in the towel and came up on the ring apron to stop the fight.