Jorge Arce vs. Joma Gamboa
2004-01-10 : Jorge Arce 107 lbs beat Joma Gamboa 108 lbs by KO at 1:38 in round 2 of 12
- Location: Centro Banamex, Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico
- Referee: Jay Nady
- World Boxing Council Light Flyweight Title (4th defense by Arce)
- Jorge Arce 34-3-1 (25 KOs) vs. Joma Gamboa 33-7-2 (22 KOs)
- WBC Light Flyweight Champion Arce is coming off a sixth-round technical decision win against Melchor Cob Castro eight months ago in his third successful defense of the title.
- Former WBA World Minimumweight Champion Gamboa is coming off a ten-round unanimous decision win against Rodel Quilaton four months ago.
- Arce is 6-1 (4 KOs) and Gamboa 1-5 (0 KOs) in world title fights (not including interim title fights) coming into the bout.
- Arce comes in 3-0 (2 KOs) against Filipino opponents while Gamboa comes in 0-1 against Mexican opponents, losing to Antonio Perez by third-round knockout more than eight and a half years ago.
- This is Gamboa's first and last fight in Mexico; He is 8-6 (4 KOs) outside his native Philippines coming into the bout.
- Reigning and defending WBC Light Flyweight Champion Jorge Arce successfully defends his title for the fourth consecutive time with a second-round knockout of challenger and former WBA World Minimumweight Champion Joma Gamboa.
- Arce dominated the first round with a steady left jab and some occasional body shots. In the second round, the champion was able to stun Gamboa with a right hand to the head. Following the right hand, a left uppercut to the chin from Arce floored the challenger for the full count.
- Gamboa hasn't been knocked out in eight years coming into the bout and this will be the earliest knockout loss in Gamboa's professional career, the fight ending in only the second round.