Jose Luis Castillo vs. Julio Diaz
2005-03-05 : Jose Luis Castillo 135 lbs beat Julio Diaz 134½ lbs by TKO at 2:23 in round 10 of 12
- Location: Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Richard Steele
- Judge: Burt A. Clements 88-83
- Judge: Dalby Shirley 88-83
- Judge: Dick Flaherty 88-83
- WBC Lightweight Title
- Time: 2:23
- Weights: Castillo 135, Diaz 134.5
- Diaz had a badly swollen and cut left eye from the 4th round on, due to an accidental headbutt. Diaz was also cut over his right eye in the 7th. Diaz went down twice in 10th before Steele finally called it off as Diaz arose at eight from the second knockdown.
- Castillo defends his Ring Magazine Lightweight world title.
- Diaz had been the IBF Lightweight champ, but chose to vacate the title for the opportunity to face Castillo.