Joseph Agbeko vs. Vic Darchinyan
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
2009-07-11 : Joseph Agbeko 116½ lbs beat Vic Darchinyan 117½ lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: BankAtlantic Center, Sunrise, Florida, USA
- Referee: Tommy Kimmons
- Judge: Michael Pernick 114-113
- Judge: Mike Ross 114-113
- Judge: Rocky Young 116-111
- International Boxing Federation Bantamweight Title (2nd defense by Agbeko)
- Aired on: Showtime Championship Boxing
- Joseph Agbeko 26-1 (22 KOs) vs. Vic Darchinyan 32-1-1 (26 KOs)
- Agbeko, a 2-1 underdog, entered as the # 6 bantamweight in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Darchinyan, who was fighting for the first time at bantamweight, was the # 1 ranked junior bantamweight and the # 8 boxer pound-for-pound in the world by the same publication.
- Darchinyan suffered cuts over both eyes, and bled from the nose and mouth, as well as was bruised under the left eye. Agbeko leaped in a lot, often butting, and the right eye cut was confirmed by the referee as from a butt. Agbeko was unmarked.
- Darchinyan scored a disputed knockdown/shove in round seven.