Juan Diaz vs. Michael Katsidis
2008-09-06 : Juan Diaz 134½ lbs beat Michael Katsidis 134½ lbs by SD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Toyota Center, Houston, Texas, USA
- Referee: Laurence Cole
- Judge: Levi Martinez 115-113
- Judge: Gale E. Van Hoy 116-112
- Judge: Glen Hamada 113-115
- IBO Lightweight Title (Vacant title)
- Aired on: HBO Boxing After Dark
- Announcer: Michael Buffer
- Promoter: Golden Boy Promotions
Diaz opened the bout attempting to establish his jab and the result was a tactical boxing match rather than the expected middle of the ring collision. Katsidis was unable to cope and awaited a heightened pace. In round three, both Diaz and Katsidis stood toe-to-toe and traded punches. Diaz’s did the greater damage as Katsidis’s right eye gradually swelled to obstruct his vision. Holding the edge with superior boxing and defense, Diaz controlled the first half of the fight until Katsidis battled back to win most of the later rounds.
HBO's unoffical judge Harold Lederman scored the bout 118-110 in favour of Diaz.
Judge Glen Hamada was widely criticized for his scorecard favoring Katsidis, who had clearly lost, albeit in a competitive bout.