Julio Cesar Vasquez vs. Pernell Whitaker
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
1995-03-04 : Pernell Whitaker 153¾ lbs beat Julio Cesar Vasquez 153¾ lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Convention Center, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Tony Orlando
- Judge: Pinit Prayadsab 118-110
- Judge: Guy Jutras 116-110
- Judge: John Riley 118-107
- World Boxing Association Super Welterweight Title (11th defense by Vasquez)
- Whitaker made $1.5 million and Vasquez got $500,000.
- While showboating with his hands down, Whitaker was caught off balance and dropped by a left in the fourth round.
- Vasquez had points deducted in rounds nine and eleven for holding and hitting.
- Whitaker landed 320 of 564 punches (57%) and Vasquez connected on 243 of 803 (30%).
- HBO judge Harold Lederman scored the fight 114-111 for Whitaker.
- Whitaker became just the fourth fighter in boxing history to win world titles in four weight divisions.