Karim Mayfield vs. Steve Forbes
2011-06-17 : Karim Mayfield 146½ lbs beat Steve Forbes 148½ lbs by TKO at 1:03 in round 10 of 10
- Location: Frank Erwin Center, Austin, Texas, USA
- Referee: Gregorio Alvarez
- Karim Mayfield 13-0-1 (8 KOs) vs. Steve Forbes 35-9 (11 KOs)
- Forbes, who was 3-6 in his previous nine bouts, entered as a 1.3/1 betting underdog. 
- Fight was on the undercard of Grady Brewer vs. Fernando Guerrero.
- Mayfield entered having not fought in just over a year and it was his first bout to go beyond six rounds.
- Forbes failed to make weight for the bout and was forced to pay a portion of his earnings to Mayfield.
- It was the first knockout loss of Forbes's career and moved his record to 3-7 since September of 2006.
- Through nine rounds, ESPN's Teddy Atlas had the bout scored 90-82 in favor of Mayfield.
A lively opening round saw both fighters looking to move in quickly and land big right hands, with Mayfield landing more frequently. Mayfield, the more physical of the two, was warned in Round 1 for continuing to throw punches, some of which landed to the back of Forbes's head, as Forbes slipped to the mat. The 2nd Round saw less activity than the first as Mayfield tied up Forbes when he attempted to get in close. In Round 3, Mayfield found success early with combinations and staggered Forbes with a right hand that landed to the top of his head. A small cut opened above the left eye of Forbes in the round. The middle rounds saw more clinching and wrestling on the inside with neither fighter necessarily landing more effectively than his opponent. Mayfield and Forbes both continually tied up, while Mayfield looked to drive his opponent backward in the clinches. Mayfield did find some success in Round 6 using his quickness to land as Forbes tried to lunge in with looping shots. Mayfield continued to land more frequently that his opponent in the 7th and closed the round with a decent combination with Forbes against the ropes. Round 8 was a another strong one for Mayfield. He landed a left hook in the final minute that caused Forbes to take a step back. A followup barrage had Forbes against the ropes and on the defensive. In Round 9, Forbes had visibly slowed and the clinching and wrestling continued to the displeasure of the crowd. In Round 10, a right hand hurt Forbes causing him to cover as Mayfield threw a barrage. With Forbes against the ropes, covered and failing to return punches, the referee waved an end to the bout.