Kostya Tszyu vs. Ricky Hatton
2005-06-04 : Ricky Hatton 139¾ lbs beat Kostya Tszyu 140 lbs by RTD at 3:00 in round 11 of 12
- Location: M.E.N. Arena, Manchester, Lancashire, United Kingdom
- Referee: Dave Parris
- Judge: Manuel Maritxalar 105-104
- Judge: Alfred Asaro 106-103
- Judge: Don Ackerman 107-102
- International Boxing Federation Light Welterweight Title (4th defense by Tszyu)
- The hungry, but largely unproven Hatton came into the fight as a massive underdog against Tszyu, a dominant and feared champion.
- In a messy struggle, even through round eight, both hit low and both went down in ruled slips. Hatton took over in round ten.
- Tszyu does not come out after round eleven, as trainer Johnny Lewis threw in the towel just before going into the final round. In an emotional scene, the Manchester crowd roars as Hatton breaks out into tears.
- Hatton wins the Ring Magazine jr. welterweight world title.
- Hatton's WBU title not at stake.