Larry Holmes vs. Alfredo Evangelista
1978-11-10 : Larry Holmes 214½ lbs beat Alfredo Evangelista 208¼ lbs by KO at 2:14 in round 7 of 15
- Location: Caesars Palace, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Richard Greene
- Judge: Duane Ford
- Judge: Hal Miller
- Judge: Harold Buck
- Ring Announcer: Chuck Hull
- Attendance: 5,000
- Aired on: ABC (Main Event)
- World Boxing Council Heavyweight Title (1st defense by Holmes)
Larry Holmes peppered Alfredo Evangelista with hard left jabs and then knocked him out with a thunderous right hand in the seventh to retain his World Boxing Council heavyweight championship last night.
The scheduled 15-rounder at Caesars Palace was a mismatch from the start and the big right hand brought a merciful ending for the Spaniard.
Holmes jab was not just a thing of beauty for boxing buffs. It was not designed just to keep the challenger off balance. It was meant to inflict pain. It was a mean jab and it made a mess of Evangelista's face.
At the end of six rounds, Evangelista's face was badly swollen and he was bleeding from beneath the left eye. He was a picture in frustration. Then, as the fight passed the two-minute mark in the seventh round and as Holmes was backing away, the champion smashed home a right to the jaw that dropped Evangelista to the floor. Evangelista got to his knees almost immediately, then pitched to his face to be counted out by referee Richard Greene.
The 23-year-old Uruguayan native, who is a citizen of Spain, never did any damage to Holmes. He hardly ever hit him as Holmes used his four-inch advantage in reach to perfection. Evangelista's only chance was to jump in and try to land to the head, but Holmes foiled him at every turn. - Associated Press
- Larry Holmes 28-0 (19 KOs) vs. Alredo Evangelista 23-2-1 (18 KOs)
- Holmes earned $1.5 million, while Evangelista made $150,000.
- Evangelist, a 4-1 betting underdog, entered as the European Heavyweight Champion and was ranked #4 by the WBC.
- The fight was the main event on a card that also included Ken Norton vs. Randy Stephens and Alexis Arguello vs. Arturo Leon.
- "He was no easy opponent. I wish it was easy. I wish every fight was easy. I feel he was a worthy opponent. The guy had an awkward style. I tried to confuse him by changing my style. I figured as long as I could keep hitting him with a left jab I was OK. I used my left jab a lot. I thought we might be able to stop him on cuts." - Larry Holmes
- "I would like to see Muhammad Ali retire . . . to go out like the legend he is." - Larry Holmes
- "I talked to Muhammad yesterday and he told me he'd quit when he's ready. I don't know what he's gonna do. Nobody knows what he's gonna do. But if he fights again, I feel his next fight should be with me. Either quit or fight me. I'm not going to wait for him or duck anyone else. I'll fight Ken Norton or Jimmy Young, or anyone else." - Larry Holmes