1979-09-28 : Larry Holmes 210 lbs beat Earnie Shavers 211 lbs by TKO at 2:00 in round 11 of 15
- The fight was televised live in prime time by ABC, which paid $3.5 million for the fight.
- Holmes earned $2.5 million and Shavers received $300,000.
- Shavers earned his title shot by stopping former WBC heavyweight champion Ken Norton in one round on March 23, 1979.
- After dominating the first six rounds, Holmes was knocked down in the seventh round by a devastating overhand right. He hit the canvas with a thud, flat on his back. But he got up and survived the round.
- Holmes regained control after the seventh round, and in the eleventh round, with a battered and exhausted Shavers still on his feet, referee Davey Pearl stopped the fight.
"Holmes, Sweet Holmes" by Pat Putnam, Sports Illustrated, October 8, 1979