Larry Holmes vs. Earnie Shavers (2nd meeting)
1979-09-28 : Larry Holmes 210 lbs beat Earnie Shavers 211 lbs by TKO at 2:00 in round 11 of 15
- Location: Caesars Palace, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Davey Pearl
- Judge: Al Miller 98-91
- Judge: Lou Tabat 98-89
- Judge: Harold Buck 98-90
- World Boxing Council Heavyweight Title (4th defense by Holmes)
- See also: Larry Holmes vs. Earnie Shavers (1st meeting)
- Onsite Poster, LeRoy Neiman Poster
- Photo #1, Photo #2
- The fight was televised live in prime time by ABC, which paid $3.5 million for the fight.
- Holmes earned $2.5 million and Shavers received $300,000.
- Shavers earned his title shot by stopping former WBC heavyweight champion Ken Norton in one round on March 23, 1979.
- After dominating the first six rounds, Holmes was knocked down in the seventh round by a devastating overhand right. He hit the canvas with a thud, flat on his back. But he got up and survived the round.
- Holmes regained control after the seventh round, and in the eleventh round, with a battered and exhausted Shavers still on his feet, referee Davey Pearl stopped the fight. Shavers later said he'd been thumbed in the eye by Holmes.