Larry Holmes vs. Michael Spinks (1st meeting)
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
1985-09-21 : Larry Holmes 221½ lbs lost to Michael Spinks 199¾ lbs by UD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Riviera Hotel & Casino, Outdoor Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Carlos Padilla
- Judge: Lawrence Wallace 142-145
- Judge: Dave Moretti 142-143
- Judge: Harold Lederman 142-145
- Unofficial AP scorecard: 144-141 Holmes
- Unofficial UPI scorecard: 146-141 Holmes
- Contrary to what has appeared regarding the scoring of the fight, Harold Lederman scored it 143-142 for Spinks. Lederman said, "Michael used very, very good ring generalship. Michael was the ring general. I had it even going into the 15th and Michael won the 15th."
- International Boxing Federation Heavyweight Title
- Holmes got $3 million plus $500,000 in training expenses.
- Spinks got $900,000 plus $100,000 in training expenses.
- Holmes was a 6 to 1 favorite.
- A full house of 11,192 watched the fight in the Riviera's outdoor arena.
- Named The Ring magazine Upset of the Year.
- Spinks became the first reigning World Light Heavyweight Champion to defeat the reigning World Heavyweight Champion.
- Holmes entered the fight with a 48-0 record, needing just one win to tie Rocky Marciano's all-time undefeated heavyweight record of 49-0. After the fight, Holmes said, "I'm 35 fighting young men and Rocky was 25 fighting old men. To be technical, Rocky couldn't carry my jockstrap." Holmes was heavily criticized for the remark, and he later apologized.