Larry Holmes vs. Mike Weaver
1979-06-22 : Larry Holmes 215 lbs beat Mike Weaver 202 lbs by TKO at 0:44 in round 12 of 15
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Harold Valan 107-101
- Judge: Tony Castellano 106-102
- Judge: Harold Lederman 106-103
- World Boxing Council Heavyweight Title (3rd defense by Holmes)
- 14,136 fans attended the fight at Madison Square Garden.
- The fight was shown on closed circuit television in 45 locations and on Home Box Office. HBO paid $150,000 to televise the fight after the three major networks turned it down.
- Weaver, a heavy underdog, gave Holmes a much tougher fight than expected.
- Holmes, pinned in his corner, dropped Weaver with a right uppercut late in the eleventh round. Weaver struggled to his feet at the count of eight and the bell rang.
- Early in round twelve, Holmes backed Weaver into the ropes and hit him with numerous unanswered punches. Forty-four seconds in the round, the referee stopped the fight.