Larry Holmes vs. Randall (Tex) Cobb
1982-11-26 : Larry Holmes 217½ lbs beat Randall Cobb 234¼ lbs by UD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Astrodome, Houston, Texas, USA
- Referee: Steve Crosson
- Judge: Chuck Hassett 149-136
- Judge: Chuck Minker 150-135
- Judge: Arlen Bynum 150-135
- World Boxing Council Heavyweight Title (Holmes defending)
Before the start of the 13th round, Howard Cosell, who called the fight for ABC-TV, said, "This is as brutal a mismatch as I think I've ever seen." Cosell was so disgusted by the fight that he quit covering boxing. "The Cobb fight did it for me," he later said. "I don't want to be a party to the sleaziness."
When told that his fight with Holmes drove Cosell out of boxing, Cobb said, "If I eliminate heart disease, if I walk on water, if I come up with a cure for crippled kids, I can't image a greater gift to mankind. That is my greatest accomplishment."