From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
1983-05-20 : Larry Holmes 213 lbs beat Tim Witherspoon 219½ lbs by SD in round 12 of 12
- Unofficial AP scorecard: 115-113 Holmes
- Unofficial KO Magazine scorecard: 114-114
- World Boxing Council Heavyweight Title (Holmes defending)
- Holmes was a 6 to 1 betting favorite.
- Witherspoon entered the fight ranked 3rd by the WBC.
- Holmes was paid $2.1 million, while Witherspoon was paid $250,000.
- An estimated crowd of 18,000 saw the fight in the 20,000-seat outdoor arena at the Dunes Hotel.
- Holmes weighed 213 lbs for the fight. Afterward, Holmes said he was too light for Witherspoon, who proved much stronger than the champion expected.
- The crowd booed when the decision was announced in favor of Holmes. Many felt that Witherspoon deserved the verdict. Boxing Monthly listed the fight as one of its ten most controversial fights of all time.
Sports Illustrated - May 30, 1983
Holmes vs. Witherspoon (full fight)