Lennox Lewis vs. Vitali Klitschko
2003-06-21 : Lennox Lewis 256½ lbs beat Vitali Klitschko 248 lbs by TKO at 3:00 in round 6 of 12
- Location: Staples Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
- Referee: Lou Moret
- Judge: James Jen-Kin 56-58
- Judge: Tom Kaczmarek 56-58
- Judge: Pat Russell 56-58
- World Boxing Council Heavyweight Title (2nd defense by Lewis)
- International Boxing Organization Heavyweight Title (2nd defense by Lewis)
- The Ring Magazine Heavyweight Title (2nd defense by Lewis)
- Program Cover
- Photo: Klitschko's face after the fight
- Klitschko was a substitute for Kirk Johnson, who pulled out of the fight because of a partial tear of his left pectoral muscle.
- Klitschko was rated #1 by the WBC.
- Lewis was a 5-1 favorite.
- The fight aired live on HBO World Championship Boxing.
- There was a crowd of 15,939.
- At 256½ lbs, Lewis was fighting at the heaviest weight of his career.
- Klitschko shook Lewis with a right to the chin in the second round.
- A right from Lewis opened a grotesque cut over Klitschko's left eye in the third round.
- The fight was stopped after the sixth round on the advice of Dr. Paul Wallace, the ringside physician, due to the cut over Klischko's left eye.
- Klitschko had four cuts on his face and one in his mouth. The cuts required 60 stitches.
- This was Lewis's last fight. He announced his retirement February 6, 2004.
- Lennox Lewis: "I was getting to him. Look at his face. Just look at the state of his face. It was only a matter of time. It was deteriorating. The referee saved his face."
- Vitali Klitschko: "Right now, I feel like the people's champion. I did not want them to stop the fight. My strategy was to take it into the seventh and eighth rounds. My strategy was working. I knew his conditioning was not good."
Lewis vs. Tyson
| WBC Heavyweight Title Fight
V. Klitschko vs. Sanders
Lewis vs. Tyson
| IBO Heavyweight Title Fight
Byrd vs. W. Klitschko II