Leo Lomski

From BoxRec
Jump to: navigation, search
Leo Lomski circa 1925

Name: Leo Lomski
Alias: Aberdeen Assassin
Birth Name: Leo Joseph Lomski
Born: 1903-10-27
Birthplace: Oklahoma, USA
Died: 1975-11-12 (Age:72)
Hometown: Aberdeen, Washington, USA
Stance: Orthodox
Height: 5′ 10″   /   178cm
Reach: 71″   /   180cm
Boxing Record: click

Division: Light Heavyweight
Trainers: Bernie Dillon, Harry Smith
Managers: Eddie Eicher, Bobby Evans
Leo Lomski Gallery

Also known as "The Aberdeen Pole." His father was a Polish Jew, and his mother a Scotswoman.

According to the Seattle Daily Times, July 21, 1925:
Leo Lomski was born in Oklahoma, and his family moved to Chewelah--a small town in eastern Washington state, when he was two years old. He took part in most athletics in the area. (BoxRec Note: At least two other sources state that he actually was born in Davenport, Ohio, and that he moved to Chewelah when he was 11 years old. However, his Death Certificate confirms Oklahoma as his state of birth.)

Lomski started boxing soon after joining the United States Navy in 1918. He won three amateur bouts, winning all by knockout. His "pay" for these wins was 72 hours of shore leave. He was discharged from the Navy on May 7, 1920. His professional debut occurred July 4, 1922, when he KO'd Frank (K.O.) Weeks. This occurred in Grandview, Washington, as the main event of Grandview's Fourth of July smoker. This is per the July 21, 1925 Seattle Daily Times, and may be incorrect. This has not been entered into the database, as it cannot be substantiated by any other local "day-after" newspaper so far. It is considered an unconfirmed bout. Per the Spokane Spokesman-Review newspaper of about October 31, 1923, Lomski also had a win over Young Stanley Ketchell, Labor Day 1923.

Chet McIntyre, well-known Seattle athletic director, boxer, and promoter--who ran the Morning Athletic Club in Mullan, Idaho (which was established by the Federal Mining Company for the many miners of the area)--saw Lomski's potential and acquired his management. McIntyre had Lomski face, early on, Billy Conley, Leo Stokes, Danny Needham, George McCormick, Billy Wright, and others, winning all except a four-round decision to Red Campbell at Portland--reportedly Lomski's fifth bout.

According to the May 1928 The Ring magazine and the Nov 10, 1929 Arena publication, Lomski's fights in the Navy were at 140 pounds. After the Weeks's fight, he promoted himself in two bouts at Grangeville, Idaho--both resulting in KO wins. Prior to his first loss to Red Campbell, he reportedly also beat Martin Lee and Cecil Manning--both at Moscow, Idaho. These bouts need to be confirmed.

Leo Lomski

By late 1924, Lomski was living in Aberdeen, Washington, shortly after the Spokane Spokesman-Review had published a quote by McIntyre saying that Lomski had returned to McIntyre's management after losing by a KO in earlier bout, and predicting that Lomski would never leave him again. While in Aberdeen, Lomski came under the management of Eddie Eicher, manager of the Grays Harbor Athletic Club. (The January 13, 1930 Spokane Spokesman-Review reported that Lomski had managed Eicher's Aberdeen cigar store in 1924.) Lomski engaged in about 20 bouts, winning 16 by decision, three by kayo, and drawing twice--again according to local newspaper accounts. Per the Bellingham American newspaper of April 1926, Leo quit boxing for some time to play with the Aberdeen Black Cats baseball team.

According to another newspaper account, Lomski, while in New York, had appeared in a one-reel motion picture entitled Ezekiel Aloysius Lomski, about a fellow who, by circumstance, decides to become a professional boxer, "climbing the ladder to fame." Tacoma News Tribune (TNT), April 5, 1928.

Lomski was then featured on the cover of the May 1928 The Ring magazine.

By 1932 he was wrestling professionally, per the April TNT. Later, while apparently working as a "special policeman," he was arrested in San Francisco, California, for allegedly ransacking some apartments, "looking for papers" as a policeman with some other folks, and taking some items without permission. The result of this incident is unknown. He was working as a bouncer at a bar in San Francisco in late 1935, per the Spokane Spokesman-Review. This was prior to him launching his comeback.

In 1946, Lomski began training Portland, Oregon Heavyweight hopeful Roy Hawkins. Lomski would attempt to have Hawkins adopt his style and use his famous right hand to the heart punch. Lomski would actually get in the ring with his young protege in sparring. According to Portland Oregonian writer L.H. Gregory, he would have two teeth knocked out and one eye blackened after one heated sparring session.

After retiring from boxing, Lomski joined the Merchant Marines. Dan Walton mentioned in his "Sports-log" column of the Nov. 18, 1949 TNT, that Lomski had visited his hometown of Hoquiam a few days earlier, and that for the previous nine years Lomski had been a seaman traveling around the world four times, and to the Orient 19 times. Lomski was then employed as a deck engineer aboard the Sudden & Christensen freighter Henry M. Teller.

Lomski died near the ocean town of Grayland, Washington, November 12, 1975. (Death Certificate) He was survived by his wife, Mildred Hood Lomski (who survived him for many years afterward), three sons, and a sister. He was cremated at Fern Hill Cemetery, Aberdeen, WA, (where fellow Washington boxer, and former World Champion, Freddie Steele is interred). It is unknown what became of Lomski's ashes, but it is suspected they were dispersed into the ocean, due to his love of the sea.

The New York Times obituary said that Lomski had fought 275 bouts (a dubious figure). November 14, 1975, p. 40. It also mentioned that he had missed the Light Heavyweight Title in 1928 from Tommy Loughran by just one second--having knocked Loughran down for a nine-count.

External Links