Name: Luis Vicentini
Alias: El Escultor de Mentones
Birthplace: Chillan, Chile
Died: 1938-10-31 (Age:35)
Hometown: Santiago de Chile, Chile
Height: 5′ 7″ / 170cm
Boxing Record: click
- Vicentini was born in November 1902--exact day unknown.
- Vicentini's parents came to Chile from Italy. His father became a Chilean citizen in time.
- Vicentini's father, a sculptor, enrolled him at Jesuit College in Santiago, encouraging him to pursue an artistic career. Luis worked as a stone cutter on tombstones.
- He started as an amateur boxer in Chile in 1920. His amateur record is reported as 59 total, with 30 KOs, 27 wins on points, and 2 losses on points.
- He first came to the United States in the Fall of 1923, and had a handful of bouts before returning to Chile. He returned to the states in 1928.
- He had a beautiful left jab, a good right, and fair defense.
- He was widely known for wearing red shoes in the ring.
- Withdrew from Dec 1924 bout in NYC claiming stomach trouble and did not fight for eight months
- Died in Santiago Chile after an extended illness shortly prior to 36th birthday