Manny Pacquiao vs. Joshua Clottey
2010-03-13 : Manny Pacquiao 145¾ lbs beat Joshua Clottey 147 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Cowboys Stadium, Arlington, Texas, USA
- Referee: Rafael Ramos
- Judge: Levi Martinez 119-109
- Judge: Nelson Vazquez 119-109
- Judge: Duane Ford 120-108
Aired on: HBO Pay-Per-View (Main Event)
- World Boxing Organization Welterweight Title (1st defense by Pacquiao)
- Manny Pacquiao 50-3-2 (38 KOs) vs. Joshua Clottey 35-3 (20 KOs)
- Pacquiao entered ranked as the # 1 fighter pound-for-pound in the world and the # 1 welterweight according to The Ring Magazine. Clottey, a 5-1 underdog, entered ranked as the # 5 welterweight by the same publication.
- The fight was the first to be held at the new Cowboy Stadium which opened May 27, 2009.
- This bout, labeled "The Event", came together after the super-fight between Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. fell through due to disputes over the type of drug testing that would take place leading up the fight.
- Due to his normal trainer being unable to secure a visa to enter the United States, for the first time Clottey was trained by Lenny DeJesus
- The fight was rewarded with a paid crowd of 36,371 and a gate of $6,359,985, according to post-fight tax reports filed with Texas boxing regulators. Counting complimentary tickets delivered to sponsors, media outlets and others, the Dallas fight attracted 41,843, well short of the 50,994 that was initially announced, but still an epic number for boxing. In addition, the bout drew 700,000 pay-per-view buys and earned $35.3 million in domestic revenue.
- Purses: Pacquiao - $17 million plus
- Punch stats
The largely one-sided bout saw Pacquiao throw combinations against a heavily defensive Joshua Clottey. Pacquiao's volume of punches seemed to keep Clottey from opening up and attempting to mount much offensively other than an occasional right hand.