Martin Gethin vs. Ben Murphy
2013-01-18 : Martin Gethin 134¼ lbs beat Ben Murphy 134¼ lbs by TKO at 0:56 in round 9 of 12
- Location: Town Hall, Walsall, West Midlands, United Kingdom
- Referee: Marcus McDonnell
- Judge: John Keane
- Judge: Ian John-Lewis
- Judge: Terry O'Connor
Martin Gethin claimed the British Lightweight Title by scoring a ninth-round technical knockout over Ben Murphy (9-6-1).
Murphy came out aggressively and likely took the first two rounds, before Gethin (24-3-1) began to gain control in the third. In the fifth, Murphy retreated to the ropes and Gethin worked him over with a volume of punches.
By Round 7, Murphy had developed swelling underneath both eyes. Gethin hurt Murphy to the body with a pair of right hands in the eighth and it appeared Murphy might go down. Much of the same continued in the ninth. With Murphy against the ropes and on the defensive, the referee stepped in and waved an end to the bout. The time was 0:56.
- Martin Gethin 23-3-1 (10 KOs) vs. Ben Murphy 9-5-1 (5 KOs)
- Fight was the primary undercard bout for Frankie Gavin vs. Jason Welborn.
- Murphy was warned twice in the opening round for pulling down on the back of Gethin's head. He was warned twice in the second for leading with his head.
- Murphy had begun to bleed from the nose by the end of Round 4 and at the time of the stoppage had swelling and some bruising underneath both eyes.