Max Baer vs. Max Schmeling
1933-06-08 : Max Schmeling 189 lbs lost to Max Baer 203 lbs by TKO at 1:51 in round 10 of 15
- Location: Yankee Stadium, Bronx, New York, USA
- Referee: Arthur Donovan
- Judge: Charley Lynch
- Judge: Joe Agnello
- Purses: Schmeling: $78,000, Baer: $26,000
- Schmeling was floored for about an eight-count, and got back up groggy. Baer continued to pummel his opponent before Referee Donovan stepped in to spare Schmeling from further punishment.
- A crowd of 53,000 (with another 3,300 with passes)--including Jack Sharkey and Primo Carnera--paid $239,676.07, to assure a fair profit for Jack Dempsey in his first big promotional venture.
- In The 100 Greatest Punchers of All-Time! (published by The Ring Magazine in 2003), Baer is ranked #22 and Schmeling #55.
- Photo #2, Photo #3, Photo #4, Photo #5, Photo #6, Photo #7