Max Schmeling vs. Jack Sharkey (1st meeting)
1930-06-12 : Max Schmeling 188 lbs beat Jack Sharkey 197 lbs by DQ at 2:55 in round 4 of 15
- Location: Yankee Stadium, Bronx, New York, USA
- Referee: Jim Crowley
- Judge: Harold Barnes
- Judge: Charles F. Mathison
- Sharkey disqualified because of a low blow late in the 4th round. This was the first heavyweight title in history to change hands via a foul.
- Attendance: 79,222
- Purses: Schmeling-$177,971, Sharkey-$177,971
- Photo #2, Photo #3
- Notable personalities in attendance included New York Mayor Jimmy Walker, automobile entrepreneur Walter Percy Chrysler, film directors Ernst Lubitsch and Josef von Sternberg, and actress Marlene Dietrich, former Heavyweight Champions Jack Dempsey and Gene Tunney, as well as heavyweight contenders Paolino Uzcudun and Johnny Risko.
- Jan 7, 1931: NYSAC strips Schmeling of title for failing to sign rematch with Sharkey.