Name: Michael Bentt
Birthplace: London, United Kingdom
Hometown: Brooklyn, New York, USA
Height: 6′ 3″ / 191cm
Reach: 79″ / 201cm
Boxing Record: click
Trainer: Eddie Mustafa Muhammad
Manager: Stan Hoffman
Photo #2, Photo #3
- Amateur Record: 148-8
- Michael Bentt was born in England but raised in New York. He trained at the New York Recreation Gym and won the New York Golden Gloves Heavyweight Open Championship in 1984, 1985, 1986, and 1988. Results:
- Won the 1984, 1986, and 1987 U.S. Amateur Heavyweight Championship
- Lost to Ray Mercer at the 1988 Olympic trials by a 5-0 decision. Bentt lost to Mercer again at the box-offs by a 3-2 decision. He won the right to fight on the Jamaican Olympic boxing team but refused when he was told that he would have to give up his U. S. citizenship.
- Professional Record: 11-2, 6 KOs
- Bentt turned professional under Emanuel Steward, and was knocked out in the first round by Jerry Jones in his pro debut. Bentt maintained that neither he nor Steward knew Jones was a southpaw.
- After a 20-month hiatus, Bentt returned to the ring. He signed with manager Stan Hoffman and hired former WBA Light Heavyweight Champion Eddie Mustafa Muhammad as his trainer.
- Bentt won ten consecutive fights and then knocked out Tommy Morrison in the first round to win the WBO Heavyweight Title.
- In his first title defense, Bentt was knocked out in the seventh round by Herbie Hide.
- After the fight, Bentt collapsed in his dressing room and was taken to Royal London Hospital. A CAT Scan revealed generalized brain swelling and physiological changes in Bentt's brain. He was advised not to fight again and he retired.
Life After Boxing
- After retiring from boxing, Bentt became an actor. He portrayed Sonny Liston in the movie Ali, starring Will Smith. He has many other credits on his acting resume, including Collateral, starring Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx, and Million Dollar Baby, which won the Oscar for "Best Motion Picture" in 2005.
- Bentt's IMDb Page
| WBO Heavyweight Champion
1993 Oct 29 – 1994 Mar 19