Michael Dokes vs. Evander Holyfield
1989-03-11 : Evander Holyfield 208 lbs beat Michael Dokes 225 lbs by TKO at 1:41 in round 10 of 12
- Location: Caesars Palace, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Richard Steele
- Judge: Dalby Shirley
- Judge: Dave Moretti
- Judge: Paul Smith
- The fight took place at the Caesars Palace Sports Pavilion.
- Referee Richard Steele deducted a point from Dokes in the 6th round for repeated low blows.
- The end came with stunning swiftness in the 10th round. Holyfield wobbled Dokes with a left hook, then caught Dokes with another left hook a few moments later that sent him staggering back into the ropes. As Dokes bounced off the ropes, Holyfield smashed a hard right to the head. Steele rushed in and pinned Holyfield's arms as Dokes fell to his knees, his right arm hooked around one of the lower ropes. "I saw Dokes' eyes roll up," said Steele. "One more would have been one too many."
- Judge Dalby Shirley had Holyfield winning 89-82, Dave Moretti had him ahead 87-83, and Paul Smith had him in front 87-84.
- The Ring Magazine named Holyfield vs. Dokes the best heavyweight fight of the 1980s.