Michael Spinks vs. Gerry Cooney
1987-06-15 : Michael Spinks 208¾ lbs beat Gerry Cooney 238 lbs by TKO at 2:51 in round 5 of 15
- Location: Convention Center, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Frank Cappuccino
- Judge: Harold Lederman 37-39
- Judge: Tom Kaczmarek 38-38
- Judge: John Stewart 39-37
- Spinks was stripped of the IBF heavyweight title in February of 1987 for refusing to fight Tony Tucker, the #1 IBF contender. Don King won the right to promote a Spinks-Tucker title fight with a purse bid of $711,000. In the case of a purse bid, the purse is divided 75 percent to 25 percent in favor of the champion. That would mean $533,250 for Spinks. Instead of fighting Tucker, Spinks fought Cooney for a guaranteed purse of $4 million. Cooney was guaranteed #2.5 million.
- Spinks was still the lineal World Heavyweight Champion and his bout with Cooney was recognized as a world title fight by 18 states and The Ring Magazine.
- Cooney had been out of the ring for 13 months and had fought just three times since losing to Larry Holmes in June of 1982.
- Spinks was an 8 to 5 underdog.
- Cooney was down twice in round five.