Miguel Angel Cotto vs. Alfonso Gomez
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
2008-04-12 : Miguel Cotto 146½ lbs beat Alfonso Gomez 147 lbs by RTD at 3:00 in round 5 of 12
- Location: Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Randy Neumann
- Judge: Stanley Christodoulou 50-42
- Judge: Eugene Grant 50-42
- Judge: Alan Rubenstein 50-41
- World Boxing Association Welterweight Title (4th defense of Cotto)
- Weights: Cotto 146.5 lbs, Gomez 147 lbs
- Airing on: HBO World Championship Boxing
- Promoter: Top Rank
- Announcer: Lupe Contreras
- Cotto staggered Gomez with a body shot at the end of round one.
- Gomez down in round two (flash knockdown).
- Cotto dropped Gomez with a left hook to the body in round three.
- Gomez down in round five from a jab.
- The fight was stopped on the advice of the ring doctor before the start of the sixth round.