Miguel Cotto vs. Joel Perez
2003-04-19 : Miguel Cotto 140 lbs beat Joel Perez 140 lbs by KO at 1:29 in round 4 of 10
- Location: Selland Arena, Fresno, California, USA
- Referee: Raul Caiz Jr
- Judge: Jack Campbell
- Judge: Barry Druxman
- Judge: Marshall Walker
- Miguel Cotto 14-0 (11 KOs) vs. Joel Perez 34-5-2 (19 KOs)
- Fight was on the undercard of Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Victoriano Sosa.
- Perez originally weighed in at 141 lbs., and was given time to lose the pound.
- Both weighed in on the day of the fight at 154 lbs.
Cotto looked sharp in the second half of Round 1 and caught Perez with a quick flurry to the head at the midway point. According to CompuBox, Cotto landed 31 punches in the round to Perez's 8. Both men had decent success in the first half of Round 2, as Cotto looked for opportunities to counter with hooks and Perez worked predominately with his jab. A left hook opened a cut in the corner of Perez's right eye in the final minute of the round. Perez continued to work his jab in Round 3, but also became more willing to throw power shots when in close. Cotto took advantage of these opportunities and landed the cleaner shots, namely the left hand. Cotto snapped back Perez's head with a pair of jabs early in Round 4 and repeatedly caught Perez in the first half of the round. A left hand to the body caused Perez to back up and take a knee at 1:17 of Round 4. He remained on one knee and sprang to his feet just after the referee reached the count of ten.