Mike Alvarado vs. Mauricio Herrera
2012-04-14 : Mike Alvarado 140 lbs beat Mauricio Herrera 140 lbs by UD in round 10 of 10
- Location: Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Kenny Bayless
- Judge: Robert Hoyle 99-91
- Judge: Duane Ford 97-93
- Judge: Dave Moretti 96-94
- Mike Alvarado 32-0 (23 KOs) vs. Mauricio Herrera 18-1 (7 KOs)
- Fight was on the undercard of Brandon Rios vs. Richard Abril.
- Alvarado entered as the # 7 junior welterweight in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Herrera, a 5.5/1 betting underdog, was unranked by the same publication.  
- Alvarado earned $95,000 for the fight and Herrera $20,000.
- ESPN's Dan Rafael had the bout even through six and scored the "terrific fight" 97-93 in favor of Alvarado. 
A competitive opening round saw both men have their moments. Alvarado likely earned the round with the higher volume of clean shots. Alvarado peppered Herrera with power shots in Round 2. To his credit, Herrera stood in there and by the end of the round was landing well himself. By the end of Round 2, swelling and a small cut had developed on Herrera's left cheek. Alvarado pressed the action in Round 3 as the two continued to trade. Herrera paid little attention to defense, but had some success with flurries. By the end of 4, a nick had opened on the outside of Alvarado's right eyebrow and he was bleeding from the nose. Also, and small cut opened under Herrera's right eye. Aside from a few flurries from Herrera, Alvarado controlled the 8th Round and punished Herrera, whose left eye had swollen shut. Much of the steam was gone from Herrera's punches in Round 9 as Alvarado pressed forward and outworked his opponent. The fight ended in the same fashion as much of the fight was fought, with both men giving full effort, throwing, and taking punches.