Mike Tyson vs. John Alderson
1985-07-11 : Mike Tyson 215¾ lbs beat John Alderson 226½ lbs by RTD at 3:00 in round 2 of 6
- Location: Trump Casino Hotel, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Frank Cappuccino
- Ring Announcer: Michael Buffer
- Aired On: ESPN
- Mike Tyson 4-0 (4 KOs) vs. John Alderson (Alderson's record was announced as 4-0 (4 KOs).
- Fight was on the undercard of Mike Tinley vs. Ray Ray Gray.
- Tyson's weight was announced as 215 lbs even.
Tyson came forward in the opening round with a bit of headhunting against his much taller opponent. Tyson landed a few solid left hands that bloodied Alderson's nose and momentarily switched to the southpaw stance midway through the round. Alderson mostly looked to evade , occasionally pumped out a rangy jab or a straight right hand. At the instruction of his corner, Tyson added more work to the body in Round 2 and landed at a higher rate. A pair of right hands knocked out Alderson's mouthpiece at 1:16. A single right hand, preceded by a range-finding jab, opened a cut on the outside of Alderson's left eye and sent him down in the center of the ring at 1:40. He stayed seated before getting to his feet at the count of eight. Another right hand this time to the temple sent Alderson down just prior to the bell. He got up at the count of six and went to his corner. The ringside physician recommended to the referee that the fight be stopped following the round and Alderson did not argue. As referee Frank Cappuccino said to Alderson, "John, church is out. The fight's over."