Mikkel Kessler vs. Andre Ward
2009-11-21 : Mikkel Kessler 167 lbs lost to Andre Ward 166½ lbs by TD at 1:42 in round 11 of 12
- Location: Oracle Arena, Oakland, California, USA
- Referee: Jack Reiss
- Judge: Mikael Hook 93-97
- Judge: Steve Morrow 92-98
- Judge: Stanley Christodoulou 92-98
Aired On: Showtime (Main Event)
- World Boxing Association Super World Super Middleweight Title
- Mikkel Kessler 42-1 (32 KOs) vs. Andre Ward 20-0 (13 KOs)
- Kessler entered as the # 1 super middleweight in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Ward, a 2.2/1 betting underdog, was ranked 9th by the same publication. Following the victory, Ward was vaulted to the # 1 position and Kessler fell to 4th.
- Fight was part of the Super Six World Boxing Classic tournament by Showtime. Kessler entered as the co-favorite with Arthur Abraham to win the tournament.
"Against Kessler, Ward displayed confidence, speed and a tremendous jab, which he worked to the head and body very nicely. Kessler was flat and just never seemed to get into any rhythm or land anything remotely damaging. Ward, who did an excellent job dominating on the inside and the outside, hurt Kessler late in the fourth round and bruised him under the right eye. He opened a bad cut over Kessler's left eye in the eighth round. An accidental head butt opened a cut over Kessler's right eye in the 10th round, which is what caused referee Jack Reiss to stop the bout at 1 minute, 42 seconds of the 11th round and send it to the scorecards for a technical decision. Although Kessler complained about the head butts and refereeing, the fact is that Ward simply kicked his butt. Frankly, Ward should be upset that the fight was stopped for the technical decision because he looked like he was on his way to scoring a knockout, which would have given him an extra point under the tournament rules." ESPN's Dan Rafael