Muhammad Ali vs. Buster Mathis
1971-11-17 : Muhammad Ali 227 lbs beat Buster Mathis 256 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Astrodome, Houston, Texas, USA
- Referee: Chris Jordan 118-105
- Judge: Ernie Taylor 118-104
- Judge: Earl Keel 119-108
- Ali was a 7 to 1 favorite as Mathis hadn't fought in almost two years and had lost his last fight.
- Ali was guaranteed $300,000 against 40% of all receipts. Mathis received 15% of all receipts.
- The fight was shown on closed-circuit television in 106 locations in the United States.
- The fight was televised in 27 foreign countries.
- There was an estimated crowd of 21,000 at the Astrodome.
- Mathis was down twice in round 11 and twice more in round 12.
- "This will be Buster's last stand. I will do to Buster what the Indians did to Custer. I'm gonna wipe him out." - Muhammad Ali
Ali vs. Ellis
| NABF Heavyweight Title Fight
Ali vs. Chuvalo II