Muhammad Ali vs. Chuck Wepner
1975-03-24 : Muhammad Ali 223½ lbs beat Chuck Wepner 225 lbs by TKO at 2:41 in round 15 of 15
- Location: Richfield Coliseum, Richfield, Ohio, USA
- Referee: Tony Perez
- Judge: Jackie Keough 136-129
- Judge: Sam Taormina 138-129
- World Boxing Council Heavyweight Title (1st defense by Ali)
- World Boxing Association Heavyweight Title (1st defense by Ali)
- Program Cover
- Photo: Wepner goes down in round fifteen
- Ali earned $1.6 million and Wepner made $100,000.
- The fight was shown on closed circuit TV in 150 locations.
- There was a crowd of 14,847 at the Richfield Coliseum.
- Ali was a 10 to 1 betting favorite.
- Ali toyed with Wepner through the first eight rounds.
- In the ninth round, Wepner stepped on Ali's foot and hit him with a right to the ribs, which knocked the champion flat on his back for an official knockdown.
- After the knockdown, Ali started to fight with more purpose and dominated rounds ten through fifteen.
- In the fifteenth round, Ali battered Wepner until the "Bayonne Bleeder" crumpled into the ropes. Wepner struggled to get up, and the referee stopped the fight.
- Wepner's gutsy performance against Ali inspired Sylvester Stallone to write the Oscar-winning film Rocky.