Muhammad Ali vs. Ernie Terrell
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
1967-02-06 : Muhammad Ali 212¼ lbs beat Ernie Terrell 212½ lbs by UD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Astrodome, Houston, Texas, USA
- Referee: Harry Kessler 148-137
- Judge: Jimmy Webb 148-133
- Judge: Ernie Taylor 148-137
- Unofficial AP scorecard: 148-137 Ali
- World Boxing Association Heavyweight Title (3rd defending of Terrell)
- Photo #2
- A crowd of 37,321 attended the fight at the Astrodome.
- Before the fight, Terrell had refused to call Ali by his Muslim name, calling him Cassius Clay instead. Ali vowed that he would give Terrell a humiliating beating.
- Ali dominated Terrell from start to finish. In the eighth round, Ali started taunting Terrell, asking repeatedly, "What's my name?"
- Ali successfully defended the World Heavyweight Championship for the eighth time and regained the WBA title, which had been stripped from him in 1964 after he agreed to make his first title defense against Sonny Liston.
- "Why don't you call me my name, man?" - Muhammad Ali
- "Well, what's your name? You told me it was Cassius Clay." - Ernie Terrell
- "I never told you my name is Cassius Clay. My name is Muhammad Ali and you will announce it right there in the center of that ring after the fight, if you don't do it now. You are acting just like an old Uncle Tom, another Floyd Patterson. I'm gonna punish you!" - Muhammad Ali