From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
Ali lands a right against Mildenberger
1966-09-10 : Muhammad Ali 204¼ lbs beat Karl Mildenberger 195 lbs by TKO at 1:30 in round 12 of 15
- This was the first heavyweight title bout ever held in Germany.
- Ali and Mildenberger wore six-ounce British gloves.
- Mildenberger was the first southpaw to fight for the World Heavyweight Title.
- Questioned in 1973, Ali said that Mildenberger, not Frazier, was his most difficult opponent to date.
- Introduced in the ring prior to the bout were former Heavyweight Champions Max Schmeling, Joe Louis, and Ingemar Johansson.
- Mildenberger's left eye was badly cut in the sixth round and almost completely closed by the eighth round.
- Mildenberger was knocked down in rounds five, eight, and ten.
- Referee Teddy Waltham of Britain stopped the bout at 1:28 of the 12th round to protect Mildenberger from further punishment.