Muhammad Ali vs. Ken Norton (1st meeting)
1973-03-31 : Muhammad Ali 221 lbs lost to Ken Norton 210 lbs by SD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Sports Arena, San Diego, California, USA
- Referee: Frank Rustich 4-7
- Judge: Hal Rickards 4-5
- Judge: Fred Hayes 6-5
- NABF Heavyweight Title (6th defense of Ali)
- Unofficial AP scorecard: 7-4 Norton
- Unofficial UPI scorecard: 6-4 Ali
- Ali was a 5 to 1 favorite.
- Ali was the #1 ranked contender and Norton was ranked #6.
- Ali suffered a broken jaw in the bout. There were no knockdowns.
- The gate was $240,792 with a paid attendance of 11,884. Ali received a guaranteed $210,000, while Norton earned $50,000, which was $42,000 more than any of his previous fights.
- The 1998 Holiday Issue of The Ring ranked Ali #1 and Norton #22 in "The 50 Greatest Heavyweights of All Time."
- Ali entered the ring wearing a white robe encrusted with rhinestones and jewels. "People's Choice" was written on the back. It was a gift from Elvis Presley. After losing to Norton, Ali never wore it again.
- Ken Norton discussed in his autobiography (Going the Distance) how the book Think and Grow Rich inspired him during the time he beat Muhammad Ali.
- "These words (from Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich) were the final inspiration in my victory over Ali: Life's battles dont always go to the stronger or faster man, but sooner or later the man who wins is the man who thinks he can." - Ken Norton in his autobiography Going The Distance
- "Imagine you have your jaw broken and have to fight ten more rounds." - Muhammad Ali after the fight
-  Ken Norton: The Man Who Shut Up Ali | The History Rat, by R.T. Johnson
-  Metta Chronicles | Today in Sports History: Elvis and Ali
- AP news - Ali, Norton in TV Bout, March 31, 1973 
- AP news - Ali Plans an Annihilation, March 31, 1973 
- AP news - Norton Hopes To Advance With Upset Win Over Ali 
- UPI news - Ken Norton decisions Ali 
- AP news, April 2, 1973 
- The Jim Murray Column, 1973 Los Angeles Times 
- The Man Who 'Whupped' Muhammad Ali, Ebony (magazine) June, 1973 
- UT~San Diego, March 31st, 2013 Remembering the first Ali-Norton Matchup
Ali vs. Foster
| NABF Heavyweight Title Fight
Ali vs. Norton II