Muhammad Ali vs. Ken Norton (1st meeting)
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
1973-03-31 : Muhammad Ali 221 lbs lost to Ken Norton 210 lbs by SD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Sports Arena, San Diego, California, USA
- Referee: Frank Rustich 4-7
- Judge: Hal Rickards 4-5
- Judge: Fred Hayes 6-5
- Unofficial AP scorecard: 7-4 Norton
- Unofficial UPI scorecard: 6-4 Ali
- NABF Heavyweight Title (6th defense by Ali)
- Program Cover
- Photo #1, Photo #2
- Ali was a 5 to 1 favorite.
- Ali was the #1 ranked contender and Norton was ranked #6.
- Ali suffered a broken jaw in the bout. There were no knockdowns.
- The gate was $240,792, with a paid attendance of 11,884. Ali received a guaranteed $210,000, while Norton earned $50,000, which was $42,000 more than any of his previous fights.
- The 1998 Holiday Issue of The Ring ranked Ali #1 and Norton #22 on the list "The 50 Greatest Heavyweights of All-Time".
- Ali entered the ring wearing a white robe encrusted with rhinestones and jewels. "People's Choice" was written on the back. It was a gift from Elvis Presley. After losing to Norton, Ali never wore it again.
- Norton discussed in his autobiography, Going the Distance, how the book Think and Grow Rich by Napolean Hill inspired him during the time he beat Ali.
- "These words (from Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich) were the final inspiration in my victory over Ali: Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man, but sooner or later the man who wins is the man who thinks he can." - Ken Norton in his autobiography Going The Distance
- "Imagine you have your jaw broken and have to fight ten more rounds." - Muhammad Ali after the fight
- AP news - "Ali, Norton in TV Bout" March 31, 1973 
- AP news - "Ali Plans an Annihilation" March 31, 1973 
- AP news - "Norton Hopes To Advance With Upset Win Over Ali" March 31, 1973 
- AP news - "Norton stuns Ali by decision" by Ron Roach, April 1, 1973 
- AP news - "Hypnotist Aided Norton" April 2, 1973 
- Los Angeles Times - "Ken the conqueror" by Jim Murray, August 7, 1973 
- Ebony - "The Man Who 'Whupped' Muhammad Ali" June, 1973 
- The History Rat - "Ken Norton: The Man Who Shut Up Ali" by R.T. Johnson, March 17, 2012 
- Metta Chronicles - "Today in Sports History: Elvis and Ali" by Rohit Ghosh, January 2, 2013 
- San Diego Union-Tribune - "Remembering the first Ali-Norton Matchup" by Brian Hiro, March 31st, 2013 
Ali vs. Foster
| NABF Heavyweight Title Fight
Ali vs. Norton II