Muhammad Ali vs. Leon Spinks (1st meeting)
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
1978-02-15 : Leon Spinks 197¼ lbs beat Muhammad Ali 224¼ lbs by SD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Hilton Hotel, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Davey Pearl
- Judge: Lou Tabat 145-140
- Judge: Harold Buck 144-141
- Judge: Art Lurie 142-143
- World Boxing Council Heavyweight Title (11th defense by Ali)
- World Boxing Association Heavyweight Title (11th defense by Ali)
- The Associated Press scored the fight 143-142 for Ali, but gave Spinks the last three rounds.
- Named 1978 Fight of the Year by The Ring.
- Spinks was stripped of the WBC title after he chose to give Ali a rematch instead of making his first title defense against Ken Norton, the WBC #1 contender.
- "I let him rob my house while I was out to lunch." - Ali reflecting on his loss to Leon Spinks
- "I'm the latest, but he's the greatest.” - Spinks speaking to the press after the fight