Nicolino Locche vs. Adolph Pruitt
1970-05-16 : Nicolino Locche 139¾ lbs beat Adolph Pruitt 138½ lbs by UD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Estadio Luna Park, Buenos Aires, Distrito Federal, Argentina 149-145 149-144 149-141
"Nicolino Loche employed his typical defensive strategy in gaining a unanimous decision over Adolph Pruitt. Skillfully seeking the ropes and corners, Loche fended off solid rights and lefts from the aggressive Pruitt, who clearly sought a knockout." -Associated Press
- Pruitt was cut over the left eye in the 3rd round but his corner had it under control by the 5th.
- In spite of the loss, the WBA considered the decision controversial enough to retain Pruitt as their #1 contender and even voted him fighter of the month.
Post fight comments
- "Beginning right now, I'm thinking about Jose Napoles." -Nicolino Loche
- "I thought I won the fight. If it had been in the U.S. I would have won 14 rounds." -Adolph Pruitt
- "Loche's a good defensive fighter, but if Adolph hadn't carried the fight to him there wouldn't have been any fight. If this had happened in the U.S. they would have booed him out of the ring." -Dave Manookian, Pruitt's manager
- "He isn't untouchable like they say. Adolph was the one doing the hitting." -Bill Slayton, Pruitt's trainer