Name: Nino Valdes
Birth Name: Geraldo Ramos Ponciano Valdez
Died: 2001-06-03 (Age:76)
Hometown: Havana, Cuba
Height: 6′ 3″ / 191cm
Reach: 78″ / 198cm
Boxing Record: click
Managers: Luis Gutierrez, Bobby Gleason
- Received The Ring Progress of the Year Award for 1953.
- Ranked as the No. 1 heavyweight contender in The Ring's annual ratings for 1953 and 1954.
- On October 6, 1954, the National Boxing Association ruled that Valdes was the lone logical contender for Rocky Marciano's World Heavyweight Championship.
- Fought four future inductees into the International Boxing Hall of Fame: Valdes was outpointed by Harold Johnson and Archie Moore (twice), defeated Ezzard Charles by decision, and was knocked out in three rounds by Sonny Liston.
- Biggest win was his 10-round unanimous decision victory against Ezzard Charles in 1953. The former World Heavyweight Champion was the No. 1-ranked contender and entered the fight as a 6 to 1 favorite.
- Appeared on the cover of The Ring three times: April 1954, January 1959, and March 1959.
- Always insisted on wearing white trunks. In 1955, Valdes said, "I am Catholic, and when I was baptized in Havana many, many years ago, I swore to the cardinal that I would honor his wish and box only in white." He was given black trunks to wear when he fought Ezzard Charles. The inner lining was white, so Valdes wore them turned inside out. His 1955 fight in England against Don Cockell was almost canceled after Valdes was informed that the British Boxing Board of Control did not allow fighters to wear white. Eventually a compromise was reached: The BBBofC allowed him to wear his white trunks as long as they were covered, apart from a white stripe down each leg, by a dark material.
- Scheduled to fight George Chuvalo in Canada on June 7, 1960, but the bout was canceled after it was discovered that Valdes had a cataract in his left eye. An eye specialist said he could see only hazy light through the eye and could not see punches coming from his left. Valdes never boxed again.
-  "Nino Valdes Scores Stunning Decision Over Ezzard Charles" Associated Press, August 12, 1953
-  "King-Size Heavies Go in Garden; Valdes Favored" Associated Press, March 12, 1954
-  "Valdes Lone Contender For Marciano's Crown" Associated Press, October 7, 1954
-  "White Trunks Rule; Boxer's Ultimatum" Glasgow Herald, September 2, 1955
-  "Compromise In Valdes Case" Glasgow Herald, September 7, 1955
-  "The Professional Champion, Nino Valdes" by Red Smith, Toledo Blade, December 22, 1958
-  "Eyes Cataract Postpones Chuvalo, Valdes Battle" Canadian Press, June 8, 1960
-  "The One and Only Nino Valdes" By Enrique Encinosa, Wail! The CBZ Journal, October 2001