Oscar De La Hoya vs. Fernando Vargas
2002-09-14 : Oscar De La Hoya 154 lbs beat Fernando Vargas 154 lbs by TKO at 1:48 in round 11 of 12
- Location: Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Joe Cortez
- Judge: Paul Smith 96-94
- Judge: Doug Tucker 96-94
- Judge: Patricia Morse Jarman 94-97
- World Boxing Council Super Welterweight Title (1st defense by De La Hoya)
- World Boxing Association Super Welterweight Title (1st defense by Vargas)
- IBA Light Middleweight Title (1st defense by Vargas)
- Ring Announcer: Michael Buffer
- De La Hoya's nose was bleeding by the end of the fifth round, while Vargas was bleeding from a cut under his right eye by the seventh.
- De La Hoya stunned Vargas with a left hook, following a combination to the body, at the very end of the 10th round.
- Vargas was knocked down early in the 11th round by a left hook, before Referee Cortez stopped the bout when Vargas offered little resistance to a flurry of punches by De La Hoya.
- De La Hoya also won the vacant Ring Magazine Jr. Middleweight Championship of the World.
- It had the second-largest grossing live gate in history for a non-heavyweight fight.
- Purses: De La Hoya's purse was $15 million, Fernando Vargas - $6 million plus a share of the pay-per-view revenue
- Vargas was suspended nine months and fined $100,000 by testing positive for steroids after this fight.