Paddy Young vs. Tuzo Portuguez (1st meeting)
1950-01-13 : Paddy Young 155 lbs lost to Tuzo Portuguez 158 lbs by TKO at 0:43 in round 8 of 10
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Eddie Joseph 4-3
- Judge: Joe Agnello 4-3
- Judge: Charley Shortell 3-3
- Portuguez was down in the 3rd. The referee stopped the bout because of a cut over Young's left eye. Young appeared to be winning comfortably at the time of the stoppage. The crowd responded by throwing newspapers and bottles in to the ring. Source: New York Times
- This was Portuguez's 21st bout without a defeat, and snapped Young's 12-bout winning streak.
- Dr. Vincent Nardiello examined Young's left eye between the 7th and 8th round and told referee Eddie Joseph to allow the fight to continue. Moreover, twice during the 8th round Nardiello again beckoned Joseph to let Young continue, but Joseph disregarded Nardiello and stopped the bout at :43 of the 8th round.
- Young was also bleeding from a cut on the bridge of his nose and from the mouth.
- Due to what he felt was an unsatisfatory ending, Garden matchmaker Al Weill stated that he would rematch Young and Portuguez in the Garden for late February.
- Attendance - 10,024