Patrick Malinga vs. Romeo Jakosalem
2009-02-13 : Patrick Malinga 135 lbs beat Romeo Jakosalem 135 lbs by TKO at 1:25 in round 4 of 10
- Location: Nasrec Indoor Arena, Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
- Referee: Sazi Xamlashe
- Judge: Joseph Chaane
- Judge: Wally Snowball
- Judge: Garth Murray
- Patrick Malinga 22-6-2 (19 KOs) vs. Romeo Jakosalem 10-2 (4 KOs)
- This would be Malinga's first fight against a Filipino opponent. He is coming off a twelfth round technical knockout win of fellow South African Amon Baloyi to win the latter's South African Lightweight Title.
- This would be Jakosalem's first fight against a South African opponent as well as his first fight outside his native Philippines. Jakosalem is 0-1 against non-Filipino opponents, losing a unanimous decision to Australian William Kickett in the Philippines about a year ago. Jakosalem is coming off a unanimous decision win against fellow Filipino Glen Masicampo just 2 months ago.
- Both fighters came out swinging in the opening bell. Malinga paid the price in Round 2 as he was floored by a solid right hand to the head by Jakosalem. Malinga beat the count and scored his own knockdown just before the end of the round. In Round 3, both fighters were still slugging out, with Malinga having the advantage as he was the stronger fighter during the fight. In Round 4, a barrage of punches from Malinga followed by a solid left hook dropped an exhausted Jakosalem for the second time during the bout. Referee Sazi Xamlashe counted him out at 1:25 of Round 4. With the win, Malinga becomes the first fighter to knockout Jakosalem, this being Jakosalem's 12th bout in his professional career.