Paul Williams vs. Ronald (Winky) Wright
2009-04-11 : Paul Williams 157 lbs beat Ronald Wright 159 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Mandalay Bay Hotel & Casino, Mandalay Bay Events Center, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Joe Cortez
- Judge: Adalaide Byrd 120-108
- Judge: Robert Hoyle 119-109
- Judge: Jerry Roth 119-109
- Paul Williams 36-1 (27 KOs) vs. Ronald (Winky) Wright 51-4-1 (25 KOs)
- Williams entered the fight as The Ring's No. 2-ranked junior middleweight contender.
- Wright was not ranked by The Ring because he had not fought in 21 months. His previous bout was a 12-round unanimous decision loss to The Ring Light Heavyweight Champion Bernard Hopkins on July 21, 2007.
- The Las Vegas Sun reported: "Winky Wright had the crowd on his side. But Paul Williams had speed, energy, and a never-ending barrage of punches. In the end, Williams' intense activity easily won out as he earned an emphatic 12-round, unanimous decision victory over Wright Saturday night in front of 5,425 fans at Mandalay Bay."
- HBO's Harold Lederman scored the fight 119-109 for Williams.
- Paul Williams: "My 12th round felt like my first, and that was due to my hard training. Running seven miles a day helped my breathing. I expected him to throw good shots and he did. We went 12 hard rounds and I anticipated it would be a tough fight."
- Winky Wright: "I just couldn't get my punches off. He was very tall and awkward with really long arms. He would throw a lot of punches, and they were coming from all different directions, and I didn't know how to dodge them. I had a long layoff, but I felt this was a great fight."
- HBO's Jim Lampley: "A spirited effort by Winky Wright but a landslide for Williams who, as is so frequently the case, swamps his opponent with his punch output."