Pernell Whitaker vs. Diosbelys Hurtado
1997-01-24 : Pernell Whitaker 147 lbs beat Diosbelys Hurtado 146 lbs by TKO at 1:52 in round 11 of 12
- Location: Convention Center, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Arthur Mercante Jr.
- Judge: John Stewart 92-93
- Judge: Lazaro Carrasco 92-94
- Judge: Sergio Silvi 91-96
- World Boxing Council Welterweight Title (Whitaker's 8th defense)
- Whitaker was a 10-1 favorite.
- The fight took place before an estimated crowd of 1,700 in a ballroom at the Convention Center.
- Whitaker was dropped by a right in the opening seconds of the fight. He got up quickly and laughed.
- A right and a left dropped Whitaker to one knee in round six. He rose immediately.
- Hurtado was penalized two points for hitting behind the head, and Whitaker was penalized one point for the same foul.
- An overhand left by Whitaker hurt Hurtado and sent him against the ropes in the eleventh round. Whitaker followed up with nine more lefts before Hurtado slipped between the second and third strands and the referee stopped the fight.
- Many thought the referee waited too long to stop the fight. Michael Katz of the New York Daily News wrote: "referee Arthur Mercante Jr. stood by frozen,"
- HBO judge Harold Lederman had Whitaker ahead 93-92 after ten rounds.
- Whitaker landed 168 of 448 punches (38%) and Hurtado connected on 131 of 429 (31%).